Friday, September 28, 2007

 

Death Sucks!


“Man is lowly by birth, man is only a pilgrim on earth.

Born to be king, time is but a temporary thing

Only on loan while on earth”

I never thought I’d have to attend another wake so soon but I just came back from one…. This time it is my brother’s (Andrew) father-in-law. It was difficult being there and had it not been for family, I certainly would have avoided it. It would have been the longest flight my sister-in-law would have had to make back home. My heart goes out to her; my siblings & I totally understand ... sigh

It's hard to explain feelings and thoughts of those left behind; unless you have experienced losing someone you love to death, what the surviving members going thru' will be hard to comprehend. To some, death is death, it's something we have to go thru' and will say that we need to move on. Well it's easier said than done especially when in my case, what I had with Philip was so good; the father I had was wonderful. I don't expect anyone to understand, this is a journey everyone will have to go through eventually.

Right now questions cloud my mind. How will I know that I’ll have the strength to go on when it sometimes feels that all hope is gone? Why is it that he had to be taken from us so early in life? It’s all so unfair. Did I do something wrong? Why would God bless my life with such a wonderful man only to take him from me? God obviously has a plan for me but I just don't understand. Please don't tell me that it's better to love and lost or that it's something I have to accept or that he's in a better place. please don't tell me that my kids are resilient or that they'll forget.... they love their dad and were so close to him so tell me, how will they forget, especially when they spent so many wonderful years with him? Children like us adults are vulnerable to pain.

I've been told that Philip probably didn't know or feel anything at the end of his life. I think otherwise, I’m certain that at the very end, my husband would have thought of our kids and me. I know this because it was always very hard for Philip to leave us. He would not have wanted this..... but it's not up to us isn't it?

What does it mean when people say 'you are strong' or 'you have to be strong’? If I hear another word about being strong and strength I think I’m going to scream! Is it because I appear composed with a smile on my face? Philip used to always tell me that he's so proud of me because I’m strong; he would call me superwoman.. I would tell him that I’m not.... It's going to be a long and painful journey for the kids and me but one that has to be made (I stress once again).

Sadly the reality is that at some time in our lives we will all have to be alone, we will all have to lose someone we love. Life on earth is not eternal not forever but death is. We possess material things but we can never possess ourselves or the ones we love not even our children. There is a higher power God and He possesses us.

Death is a humbling experience. No matter how rich you are, no matter what your social status is, how happy or sad, we will all experience death. So I think it's all about the way of life, how we choose to live it. Philip always put everyone before himself. Others mattered to him. No matter how tired he was, he would have his gorgeous smile greeting you, always ready to help. It'll be tough following his footsteps but I will try and I hope I will do him proud, but most of all, I hope I’ll do justice in bringing up our 3 babies........

Thank you for all the support and help. Great big hugs and kisses go out to my two families and friends, you know who you are. I love you! Without all of you, I will be a wreck.


Comments:
i wonder, aly, maybe you're meant to share with others who go thru the pain of death the impt lessons learnt? I want to think there's soemthing positive at the end of it...I just really don't know how. And find it difficult to see. But you're right, God created each of us and our time on earth is 'borrowed time'. When or why he takes us back, only we will know when it's our turn to join Him. So in the meantime, while we're here on earth, we really need to earn our place in heaven.
 
i think most of what ppl say boils down to the plain and simple fact that no one knows what to say but we all feel the need to say something. i don't know what he was thinking or feeling but if he was aware that he was passing i am sure he would have held on to you his family as strong as he could unfortunately as you say its not like we got much of a choice. I hope that the kids never forget, i hope they remember every detail of his life with them even the pain of his passing and cherish it everyday. The one thing that will change is their understanding of him as they grow. They now know he loved them with every ounce of his being but we you will be able to fill in the blanks like how he loved each of them as an individual or the things he told you about how much he loved them about how proud he felt about them. I never tire talking or hearing stories about daddy, it brings him to life somehow.......your last paragraph sort of tells you where part of this strength will come from "Thank you for all the support and help. Great big hugs and kisses go out to my two families and friends, you know who you are. I love you! Without all of you, I will be a wreck."
the people who know and love you. So forgive the dumb remarks, and the thoughtless statements. And always remember one thing he married you and had children with you, he never doubted for one min or one second that you would raise them right of this we can all be certain.
My comments almost as long as your post.
 
tI dont know what to say but its going to be a short one.I wish i knew why god took the pp we love so much,i dont understand why he dont take the really sick and wicked pp,its always some one we love.But i know that life is too short to worry about this and that we will see the pp we love again.

Its so unfair what did philip do to be taken away from his love ones
he is such a good man and a happy go lucky person.I wish i had powerful powers to bring him back ,
bring my dad back but i dont have.
But maybe god as plans but then again Why does god have to take our love ones to give us a plan couldn"t he gaves us his plans with our love ones around, does that make sens?
As for earning a place in heaven i dont think i will have one there cause i am very angry at the whole heaven right now.
Thats end of my story,i dont mean harm with my story but this how i feel about the whole thing.
 
SIL Mish says

Miss BIL lots. Every morning when I get up, the first thing I think of is you and the kids - every single day.
 
just wanted to say that each person's loss and pain is different. No one can claim they understand how you feel cos they have lost loved ones too. how can anyone understand what you feel when they are not you and Philip?

Am glad that you have this blog to express what you feel.

-michelle-
 
Hi babe,

I too miss bro alot and have not really got over it yet. I really dun know what to say to you but to keep you and kids in my prayers.

I will visit you late this Oct as I am leaving for Germany to visit clients this Sunday night 7th Oct for 2 weeks.

Pls do call me anytime if you need any help.

Chris Woo
 
Death is a very painful experience. We all go through it at some point or another. I agree with Michelle. Every one deals with it very differently and every ones pain is different.
Life can also be painful.We all have problems in our daily living.But we are alive for now, and we need to go out there and enjoy it to the best of our abilities,becuase in a blink of an eye, we could be gone.
Aly ,you put it right. Death is a humbling experience and it teaches us to respect the life we have now.
We all know that enjoying Life is easier said than done,but it's something that we cannot neglect and we muct reach this goal of a hppy life....

Joce
 
Post a Comment



<< Home